Friday, March 7, 2014

Bootcamp with Sandra Compton

Hey everyone!

Wow, what an incredible week!  Everything from my toes to my eyelashes hurt from bootcamp, but I love it!  Initially I wasn’t going to write about my experience until after the 6 weeks were over, but there is just too much to say.  I would end up writing a novel if I waited! 

So I guess I should begin with how I decided to do Sandra’s bootcamp.  She has been telling me about it for a very long time.  It always sounded so nice, but for other people.  I was too scared to join!  I thought I had to be fit to do a bootcamp.  I didn’t think I would be able to do it, so why bother signing up for something if you already “know” you are going to fail?  Right?  WRONG!

Sandra and I went for coffee and had a major gab session which ended in me telling her I would do her bootcamp :)  I was still scared out of my mind, but I decided I needed her help to achieve my fitness goals.  Then Sylvia shared that poster (Bootcamp Poster) on Facebook and she asked “Who is coming with me?!” and I decided to make the commitment (you know, Facebook Official LOL) and I commented saying that I would see her there!  Immediately I went out and bought some tops and new socks.  What can I say, I love shopping, for any reason.  Going to bootcamp?  You need some new socks, girl.  Yup, I said it!

I paid the fees and then started bootcamp on March 4th!

When I walked in the doors, I was certain that I wouldn’t know anyone but there was Jennifer and she gave me a hug and welcomed me.  It was so nice to see a familiar face as soon as I walked in!  I ended up knowing quite a few ladies, so that was really nice!  Although it doesn’t much matter, in case you are a newbie considering coming to the next session of bootcamp, and don’t know anyone, you are so busy doing your own thing, that you don’t have a chance to feel like a loaner :P

Our first task was to run 5 laps and I thought ok let’s go balls to the wall!  Bad idea lol.  I was toast after 2 laps.  I brought myself back to reality and reminded myself that I needed to ease into things.  Slow and steady wins the race, right?

Sandra offered many encouraging words throughout the evening – one of my favourites being: “Do not cheat yourself; this is YOUR workout, not mine!”  It made me push myself that extra bit further.  She was right; I shouldn’t cheat myself out of a great workout and the results that will inevitably follow, by half-assing it.  I needed to find my comfort zone and safely push past it.  I won’t get the results I want, unless I FIGHT for it!  I ended that first night of bootcamp in happy tears.  It was really hard but there I was; I finished!  I didn’t sit anything out, I didn’t let my insecurities get in the way of my goals and my dreams.  I made a promise to myself and I was sticking with it.  It felt so good :)

I had two bubble baths between Tuesday night and Thursday night; wow I was so sore!  But I LOVED it!  It was a reminder of the effort I put into my workout and it made me feel proud!

Then we had our second night, just this past Thursday and I was pumped.  Aside from the stinky boxing gloves (inner germaphobe FREAKING OUT here!) it was an incredible night.  We worked together and pushed each other to succeed.  It truly is a team of incredible women in there who are all working toward the same goal.  We ended the night with some yoga and this is where it hit me.  I had a new found respect for my coach.  I absolutely love Sandra and truly believe that she was put in my life for a reason.  And on Thursday night it clicked and I realized I hadn’t seen her in her element before.  I had only heard her talk about it.  It was beautiful and I could feel how passionate she is about her calling in life.  At that moment, during yoga, the tears began to silently fall and I was just overcome with emotion, adoration, and respect for my friend.  I am blessed to call her my friend and grateful to call her my coach.  I wouldn’t want anyone other than her beside me through this journey – love you girl!

Then there is Peaches ;) Girl, you make me laugh and make me feel SO comfortable, THANK YOU!  I told you that I think I can learn a lot from you, and I meant it.  Even though we haven’t known each other that long, I feel like you are the big sister I never had and that you are going to teach me how to be more sure of myself and be a little crazy – not so sweet and quiet all the time lol!  On the first night of bootcamp, I was one of the last to finish my walking lunges and even though you were done with your 3 laps, you came back and did them with me to the finish line so I didn’t finish alone.  You will never know how much that meant to me.  I truly appreciate your friendship, and I hope it lasts a lifetime!

Ladies, if any of you reading this are looking for a way to get out there and get healthy – I highly recommend that you join the next session of bootcamp.  I know I have only been at it for one week, but I guarantee if you sign up, you won’t regret it.  I don't need 5 more weeks to be confident in that statement.  This is a team of women who are here to support each other and work on their goals.  There is no drama, no BS.  It is hard, but if you come in ready to give it your all, you will have an entire room filled with women who will help you achieve your goals – you never finish alone.

To all of the ladies attending this session of camp, I really look forward to getting to know you better :)

xoxox

K

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Me a Comment!